Old City is the hub of the city and considered downtown Nanaimo. If you are looking for the centre of the community where many festivals and events happen this is the place. In addition to downtown commercial office space, the Old City boasts the Port Theatre, Diana Krall Plaza, Nanaimo Museum, and Vancouver Island Conference centre which is a newer building (built in 2008). The Conference centre offers 38,000 square feet of conference space and can host small and mid size meetings, conferences and tradeshows up to 1300 people. All of this is positioned just behind the waterfront Plaza in the Nanaimo Harbour where shops, dining and floatplane service to Vancouver is available. Nanaimo Harbour is extremely scenic and this is the launching point to Newcastle Marine Provincial park , Protection Island (home of the Dinghy Dock pub which is a floating pub) and Gabriola Island (one of the Gulf Islands – 10 minute ride away). Homes are heritage style and some of the oldest in the City; many dating back to the late 1800s and early 1900s. In addition there are some of the most beautiful condomiums with gorgeous water-views available.
- Fairview Elementary – 205 Howard Ave., (250) 753-3418
- École Pauline Haarer Elementary – 400 Campbell St., (250) 754-2722
- Brechin Elementary – 510 Millstone Ave, (250) 754-7523
- Nanaimo District Secondary School – 355 Wakesiah Ave., (250) 740-2000
- John Barsby Secondary – 550 7th St., (250) 753-8211